Musical Theatre — Musical Direction
The London Palladium
Matheson musically directed his first professional show at the age of 16 at the Thameside Theatre, London (see below for details) to rave reviews. After his third production as musical director (Bugsy Malone with Bruce James Productions), Matheson was asked to provide the arrangments and orchestrations to the overture of the show Applause, Applause at the London Palladium, still only 18 years of age. The show also included new jazz swing interpretations of numbers from West Side Story, also arranged by Matheson.
Matheson now has more than 20 musicals and theatrical shows to his credit as either MD, AMD, pit musician or performer. Those productions aside, Matheson's love for the 'small-stage' has also taken him to more than 50 venues throughout the world, from bars and restaurants to hotels and convention centres, with 'one-night only' cabaret gigs as a singer-pianist, both solo and in groups, including private parties and weddings.
To book Matheson for any event, please see the contact page.
- Puck! - The Musical, adapted from Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream, with lyrics by Matheson and music by Errikos Vaios & book by Errikos & Matheson, Premièring at the Haven Amphitheatre, Sydney, Australia, 18th, 19th & 20th January 2013
- Lights, Camera… Resting! — a new musical with music & lyrics by Matheson, Henley Festival & Camden Fringe Festival, London, 2010
- Into The Woods, Masters Performing Arts College, London, 1997
- Marry Me A Little, Landor Theatre, London & South West England tour, Gas Monkey Theatre Company, 2003
- Make Mine Music, the Classic Disney 1946 Movie, MDing vocal recording sessions for official Disney Greek language version dub, Athens, Greece, 2006
- Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, Brunico & Bolzano, Italy, Alphabeta, Picadilly, 2012
- Native Hue, Metrosexual Club, Istanbul, Turkey, 2004
- Cirque for Life — a Circus Arts Promotion & HIV/AIDS Charity, creative direction, composition/lyrics, Chicago, 2009-10
- Bugsy Malone, Pomegranate Theatre, Chesterfield, Bruce James Productions, 1999
- Mother Goose, Thameside Theatre, Thurrock, Bruce James Productions, 1996
- Hi-5, Vocal Coach & MD for recording sessions for Double Platinum album Far From This Earth, Athens, Greece, 2004
- Follow, Follow & Waiting Somewhere — musical-variety shows with The Upstagers, 1998-9
- Disney's Aladdin, Brunico & Bolzano, Italy, Alphabeta, Picadilly, 2011
- The Threepenny Opera, Drayton Court Theatre, London, Fraser Grant Productions, 2000
- Music therapy course for the elderly & disabled, Twickenham Institute, UK, 1997
- Closer Than Ever, South West England tour, the Gas Monkey Theatre Company, 2002
- Masters Performing Arts College — Musical Theatre Variety Show, Etchingham Festival, 2000
- Our Day Out and Robin Hood with the Surrey players, 1996
- Dick Whittington, Thameside Theatre, Thurrock, Bruce James Productions, 1995
- Cold Calling, Jermyn Street Theatre, West End (Picadilly), London, 2003
- F# — Mark Hole's début ablum — MD-ing of recording sessions, Chicago, 2008
Sue White, N.A. Times
(Into The Woods)
…and a keynote feature of the
show was the performance of the musical
director, gifted pianist Matheson Bayley.
His playing captivated the audience so much
that when he stayed to play the people out,
everybody stayed seated and called for more
before giving him a standing ovation.
- The Last 5 Years, American College, Νάσος Σωπίλης (Nássos Sopílis) Productions, Athens 2006
- Music hall, V-E & V-J shows, Prince Regent Theatre, Freddy Eldrett Productions, 1996-7
- Fame, Lewisham Theatre, Debbie Feast Productions, 2001
- London Palladium's Applause Applause, Black Horse Productions, West End, London, 1997
John Park, Fringe Report
…a rousing show-stopper
(literally), in fine voice,
and with magnificent piano
from Matheson Bayley.
(Closer Than Ever)
…and with the energetic
and talented musician
Matheson Bayley — man,
the show was on the road!
playing emphasised the
mood of each song.
In the Pit:
- Closer Than Ever, Mountview Theatre School (on double bass/bass guitar), 2000
- Guys & Dolls, Lewisham Theatre, Debbie Feast Productions (on double bass), 2000
- Me & My Girl, Putney Arts Theatre, Swanbank Music (on keyboards), 2001
- Tom Sawyer, Guilds Theatre, Debbie Feast Productions (on saxophone/clarinet), 2000
- Sweeney Todd, Electric Theatre, Guildford & Bucks/Hamps/Surrey tour, Crimson House Productions (on organ & piano), 2003
David Munro, Landor Theatre
(Marry Me A Little)
…an excellent musical director
[who] keeps the music going
at a spanking pace!
On the stage:
Other Musical Direction
[Back to top]
- Musical consultant for Nile Breweries TV advertising campaign, Tanzania & Kenya, 1998